Wednesday, February 1, 2017

January Performance

I have introduced several investment options in my previous posts. In this post, I will piece them together with a view of how my investments are spread and a summary of their performance for the month of January 2017.

Invested Capital

About 70-75% of my cash assets are invested. When I was gainfully employed, my target was to invest 80% of my savings but since I am no longer drawing a regular income, I need to maintain a higher liquidity for monthly expenses.


Asset Allocation

Composition of Earnings from Investment

For the month of January, the larger portion of what I make from investment came from my equities. However, I suspect that the composition will change as my focus shifts. I plan to dial down my investment on US equity and gradually shift more of it to Close Ended Funds (CEF). While Close Ended Fund may be the least performing investment, it is certainly the most consistent.


Contribution Mix from Investment

Performance Summary

I started tracking my financials with a spreadsheet after receiving my first pay cheque in the private sector. I will explain why over a cup of coffee but coming back to the topic, it is important to track your finances diligently as you cannot improve what you cannot measure. It is also important that you set a realistic target for yourself to achieve.

Using my On-Target-Earning (OTE) as the benchmark, income for January ended at 195% of my monthly target with a return rate of 16.3% on closed trades! In simpler terms, I made twice of what I was earning when I was employed. 

Of course, it is just the first month so it is still inconclusive that I would be better off. I have put in a lot of work into research but a couple of the larger earnings are unexpected. Basically, I got lucky a couple of time and thus, I am not confident to say I can repeat this in February. However, I am pleased with the result so far as it has been very encouraging.

HUAT AH!

No comments:

Post a Comment