Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Knowing Where To Knock

(repost from my LinkedIn)


My father did not believe in higher education. A self-made man who grew up in the streets; he started his apprenticeship as a mechanic at the age of fourteen. He firmly believed that all his children should be independent after completing high school. So at the age of sixteen, I started the first of my nine years with the Republic of Singapore Navy in exchange for allowances and a diploma in engineering.

During a regular sortie (sailing exercise), one of the ship's engine failed to engage; stranding the ship out at open waters. I was off duty and asleep when I was required in the control room where everyone else had already gathered. Stumbling out of bed, I made my way towards the engine room. 

At the hatch, just before the engine room that separates the CPO mess and the control room, I peered through the porthole and studied the indicator lights on the engine panel. I knew where the trouble was. I picked up the sound-powered telephone nearby and hailed the control room "Go to engine 4 and lift the 3rd floorboard to its left. You'll find the brake sensor mounted on the frame. If it is engaged, give it a gentle tap." Sure enough, the engine engaged shortly and I went back to bed.

There, a real life story of knowing where to knock. I wasn't paid $10,000 for it (far from it actually) and stories like these are not uncommon as there are countless others who are better. Yet, it was a lot of hard work to achieve the level of competence and experience. Immersing yourself into the problem and getting your hands dirty is often the fastest and best way to learn.

The Navy taught me many things but most importantly, it taught me the need to go above and beyond; Consistency beyond discipline, excellence beyond competence, loyalty beyond respect, resilience beyond endurance. 

I was posted to the Naval Logistic Branch and did the job for a non-uniform officer who was perpetually absent from work. I was given the opportunity to participate in the EMMIS migration to NLMIS and the privilege to be trained in SAP R3 solutions. It was through this experience that I realized what I have a flair for and from there, I took MCSE and CCNA, and planned for my eventual exit from military service.


No comments:

Post a Comment